- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 broccoli heads, cut into florets, stems chopped
- 4 cups (1L) salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup (100g) macadamia nuts that have been blitzed in the blender
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut cream
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 secs or until aromatic.
- Add the broccoli stems (not florets) and stock and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 mins or until broccoli is tender
- Add the broccoli florets and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 3-5 mins or until the vegetables are bright green and just tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the crushed macadamia nuts to the soup.
- Use a stick blender to carefully blend until smooth.
- Add the coconut cream and blend to combine.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast to desired taste.
- Pour into bowls and add a dribble of extra coconut cream on top along with some slivered almonds or more nutritional yeast.
* For a thicker soup add more crushed / blended macadamia nuts
* For a less creamy soup, add coconut MILK instead of cream