- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon iodised sea salt & ground pepper to taste
- Onions 1 1/2 cups chopped (approx 2 small onions)
- Mushrooms 4 - 5 cups sliced; fresh brown, white or button mushrooms are great for this recipe. You can use any combination of your favourite mushrooms.
- Vegetable broth approx 2 1/2 cups
- Herbs: yummy herbs for this soup are fresh thyme and parsley. 1 1/2 tablespoons each fresh thyme and parsley.
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos.
- Plant based milk 1 cup; full-fat coconut milk will add the most delicious creaminess. If you want to keep it lower in fat, you can substitute with your favourite plant based milk or low fat coconut milk.
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk cream (canned; and chilled)
Optional : This soup isn’t super thick, so if you want it slightly thicker you can add an arrowroot flour slurry. 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder mixed with approx 1/3 cup water, to be added towards the end of cooking.
- Heat a large pot over a medium heat.
- Add the EVOO to the pot and the onions
- Saute the onions for 5 minutes
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for an additional 5 minutes until the mushrooms are browned. Onions will be brown as well.
- Stir in the fresh herbs and coconut aminos
- Add the broth, cover and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the thickening mixture; non dairy milk and arrowroot flour. Pour the flour milk mix into the soup and stir thoroughly to blend. Cover pot and simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, parsley and solid coconut cream). Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately
That’s it, simple and delicious!