- 2 cups firmly packed fresh basil / or a mixture of basil and baby spinach leaves (for best results use only the leaves of the basil - stems removed)
- 3 tbsp pine nuts, walnuts or macadamia nuts (all lectin free compliant nuts)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp iodised sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil*
- 3-6 tbsp water (plus more as needed)
- Pulse the nuts in a food processor to start
- Add the basil (or Basil and Baby Spinach) , nuts, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt and blitz on high until a loose paste forms.
- Add olive oil and scrape down sides as needed. Then add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water at a time until the desired consistency is reached – a thick but pourable sauce
Note: Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for extra cheesy flavour, salt for overall flavour, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for zing or acidity.